Throughout the day, emphasis is “hands on” and you will be given the chance to handle and fly many different species of raptors.
The day begins with a tour of the Eagle Lawn that is home to 30 birds of prey. You will be shown different techniques for handling birds of prey safely which will include a brief insight to how we train a bird of prey. You will get hands on straight away while flying a Male Chilean Blue Eagle, Ferruginous Hawk, Kestrel and a Tawny Owl in our flying arena. We will then move to our Experience Day Lawn where you will get an up close encounter with a lovely White Faced Scops Owl, African Pygmy Falcon, large falcon and a large owl such as Great Grey Owl or Snowy Owl .
Your Experience concludes with a “Hawk Walk” where you and one of our falconers take a Harris Hawk out of the bird of prey Centre and into the grounds of Sion Hill Hall and surrounding countryside. The hawk is then let off to follow along as you walk this allows you to see a bird of prey in a more natural setting the Hawk is then recalled to your glove as we make our way around the estate.
The Falconry staff will be on hand to ensure you have an enjoyable and special day at the Centre. (approximately 9 different birds will be used but birds may be upgraded due to weather conditions and the centre’s commitments)
- Your day begins at 10.30am and finishes in time for the 1.30pm display which you are welcome to stay and watch.
- Age restriction applies from 13 years upwards
- Up to 6 people will be able to interact with the birds on this experience.
- Due to the physical nature of this experience, you must be able to hold 5lb in weight in your left hand unassisted and be able bodied.
- Up to one spectator can accompany each person taking part on the day. Spectator admission is £15.00 and can be purchased online or on the day of your visit.
- Vouchers are non-refundable.
- Vouchers can be transferred to another person.
- Vouchers may be exchanged for a different experience. If the experience you are exchanging it for is a higher cost, you will be required to pay the difference. If the experience is a lower cost no refunds will be given.
- Experience Days are weather dependant. TBOPC will reschedule the experience if the weather is not suitable.
- TBOPC Camera Policy is still to be followed.
Please note that the experience days all need to be pre booked by calling 01845 587522 during the centre opening hours.